Monday, April 18, 2011

On the Crab

Sandy and I haven't had cable TV for several years now.  I really haven't minded not having it, although there are a few nuggets worth watching that you can't find on over-the-air TV.

One of those is the Discovery show "Deadliest Catch," which I first saw when I was in the hospital back in 2007.  I found it rather interesting, but didn't make a big deal out of it.  Then last year, one of the local stations started showing reruns.  Sandy and I have become, as it were, hooked.  Now that we have Netflix, we've been "catch"-ing up with the previous seasons.

One of the things I scratch my head about is why I like this show.  I hate fishing.  I'm not that comfortable on the water.  I'd make a hideous "greenhorn."  Besides the fact that I'm woefully out of shape, talk to me sometime when I'm sleep deprived and you'll see what I mean.

I guess it's the various elements of drama: fighting the waves and the ice, dealing with mechanical problems and injuries (not to mention the ever-present threat of death), personality clashes (but I'm glad it's not all about the personality clashes, or else it would be like that reality TV wasteland known as MTV), and never knowing if the crab pot is full until it breaks the surface.  And a lot of men can make a lot of money in a little time . . . if they don't mind going through a frozen hell to get it.

So far, it seems the captains aren't letting their new-found fame get to their heads . . . too much, although a contract dispute nearly cost the show the Hillstrand brothers and Sig Hansen, arguably the signature personalities.  Then again, the show's gotten so big, it's spawned a convention called "CatchCon."

Now if only they fished Maryland blue crab.  Mmmmmm.

0 comments: