Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cygnus vs. The Cartoon Laws Of Physics

I'll probably remember many incidents like this, and I've already listed a few in "Learn From My Fail."

While watching America's Funniest Home Videos, I saw a girl in a bathroom misjudge where the sink was and bang her head on the counter.  Well, I can't laugh too loudly.

In January 1992, I had just moved in with the last roommates I would have before my wife.  My old roommate Pat had bought a house and needed help with the mortgage, so two of us occupied his two other bedrooms.  I would move out only five months later into my own apartment as Pat and I had a friendly parting of the ways, nothing like what you see on Judge Judy.  In short, I felt like I couldn't live as I wanted there, and he suggested I might be better off in my own place.  He was right.

Anyway, I had just moved in, and as part of the deal, Eric, the other roommate, was helping Pat repaint the bathroom.  I did my share by cleaning up after them; besides, I wanted to take a bath.  So I was cleaning the bathtub.  At one point, I was trying to get the dirt at the bottom of the bathtub on the side closest to me.  To reach it, I had one arm all the way down, and the other arm was supporting my weight on the side of the tub.

That was the arm that slipped.

All of a sudden, everything went in slow motion.  I felt like Wile E. Coyote obeying the Cartoon Laws of Physics, especially the one that says gravity only takes hold when the character realizes it.  From that point, it seemed to take about five seconds for my forehead to plow straight into the side of the tub.  I knew it was going to happen, but I also knew I couldn't do anything to stop it; neither arm was braced to do so.

I'm glad to have escaped with a welt on my head and a slight headache.  I guess being hard headed has its advantages.

And I still do all the bathroom cleaning.

0 comments: