Friday, July 02, 2010

The Kiss

Having taken three years of Latin in high school, I opted to continue studying it in college.  However, my school didn't offer it at the time, but the girls' college next door did.  Turns out there were several of us from my college who were there, including a high school classmate who also took as much Latin as I did.

If I remember correctly, this was my first college class ever.  We primarily studied the writings of Catullus and Ovid, and were taught by one of the few remaining nuns.  But I had no time to hang around after class because I had an economics class back on my campus to get to.

As I did throughout my college years, I had hyperactive hormones and was sizing up the girls in the Latin class, but any interest I showed was unrequited (as usual, and probably to our mutual benefit).  One of the ladies was a senior named Betsy.  She wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, but she wasn't unattractive either, and I didn't think much of her at the time.  We related no more or less than two students in a small class would.

Well, after our last class of the semester, I turned to go as usual and was heading down a back staircase that I discovered got me out of the building faster.  Behind me came Betsy, who wanted to say goodbye.

And in the stairwell, the way she chose to do so was with a long, passionate kiss.  Needless to say, I was shocked, but I admit I liked it too.  What guy wouldn't?

Why did she do that?  I have no idea.  I could understand a hug, but a kiss?  She hardly knew me.  Was I the only guy from the class she did that to?  Also no idea. 

Naturally, I never saw or heard from her again.  I would have many other unusual experiences to come in my pursuit of the Fairer Sex in college, but that was one of the strangest of my entire life.

0 comments: