Monday, May 31, 2010

Freezing Ass River

(Pardon the title: it came from a co-worker who was talking about her need to jump in a Nevada or California river, never mind that it just stopped snowing.)

LC and I made our first visit to Nevada in 1993.  As part of our exploration of the Sierras and the Lake Tahoe region, we drove up to Donner Lake.  It was early September, and we decided to take a dip.

I think that's the coldest body of water I've ever been in, including the Potomac River in Williamsport for the annual New Year's Day Polar Bear Plunge in 2003.  LC said she shivered all night, and she could feel the cold in her bones!  By comparison, Lake Tahoe the next couple days felt almost like bath water.  (Well, not quite, but it was quite a bit warmer.)

We haven't gone swimming in Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, or the Truckee River since we've moved here, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  I guess as a result of getting older, I'm not as much an aficionado of ignoring the temperature unless it's for something like a brief Polar Bear Plunge.

0 comments: