Friday, March 12, 2010

Stations of the Cross

For the first time in quite a while, I attended Stations of the Cross, at my home parish of Immaculate Conception.

On one hand, it was good to be reminded of what Jesus went through, and it was touching to sing the song of Mary after each station.  On the other hand, I was saddened to see the parish using a 1970 set of Stations that reeked of "Spirit of Vatican II", focusing on us more than Him.  Whoever wrote this did so in persona Christi, continually referring to the reader/supplicant as "My other."  The photos for the most part looked like they could have been used as Steely Dan album covers.  I guess a Nihil Obstat and an Imprimatur don't excuse everything.   (See also V for Victory's post.)

Turns out Father Z had a post about the Stations as well.  I wish we'd use St. Alphonsus Liguori's version.  Oh, well, after reading the comments, I should be grateful we have Stations at all.  And at least these didn't include the Resurrection as a Fifteenth Station, like we had when I was in Catholic elementary school.  Eeesh. 

I'm also enjoying listening to Catholic apologist Tim Staples' set of talks called "Sword of the Spirit."  That term has had a negative connotation to me ever since my days in the Lamb of God community in Baltimore, so it's nice to hear Staples redeem it for me.  Right now I'm listening to the talk on the Eucharist, focusing especially on the Bread of Life discourse in John 6.

1 comments:

Anita Moore said...

It's amazing how the Stations have become politicized. (Remember the incident in Denver back in the late '80s, when the Pope was in the United States, and a mime company portrayed the stations with a woman playing the part of Jesus?) But then, if I was the devil, I'd want to make a mockery of the Passion, too.