Sunday, March 01, 2009

My First TLM

This morning, LC and I drove down to the Holy Spirit Mission in Washoe Valley for the Traditional Latin Mass, the first I've ever attended (after missing the turn and having to go another three miles before I could turn around!). It's a small church with only one Sunday Mass, and about 40 in the congregation.

Overall, I really appreciated the Low Mass, and found it a refreshing change from the irreverence of many Novus Ordo Masses (on Ash Wednesday, the priest at Our Lady Of The Snows had the second graders join him around the altar because he was "lonely up there." Wrong, wrong, wrong!).

Observations:

  • One complaint others have lodged about the TLM is that the congregation does not participate. This is true, if the only definition of "participation" is "responding out loud to the prayers." Instead, I felt more directed to participate by focusing my mind and spirit on what was going on, rather than having it spoonfed to me.
  • The reverence and mystery was awesome. Everyone genuflects . . . and means it.
  • I wish I could have been one of the altar servers.
  • I actually received the Eucharist on the tongue, kneeling, at the altar rail! That's the first time I've been able to do that since I was a teenager.
  • I loved hearing Latin hymns again.
  • Although I didn't partake, it was nice to see confessions being heard before Mass.
  • LC looked cute with her head covered.
I know I'm not going to be able to attend TLM every Sunday, but I look forward to doing so as often as possible.

Afterward, we celebrated with breakfast at Joe's.

2 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

But I don't own a food franchise yet, hahahahaha.

Glad that you enjoyed the TLM...my head is spinning over those comments my Cardinal Archbishop made.

Cygnus said...

How'd he make Cardinal again?