Saturday, March 14, 2009

Come In, We're Open . . . Now, Get Out.

Cygnus' First Rule Of Retail:

If a store acts like it doesn't want your business, the worst thing you can do is give it to them.

You would think in an economy like this, the last thing a retail store would want to do is go out of its way to tell customers they aren't welcome and it doesn't want their business. But that's exactly what I encountered today.

Back east, one of my favorite places to look for used CD's was the Princeton Record Exchange. Thanks to LC, I found a rare CD by the Christian jazz supergroup Koininia called "More Than A Feelin'" while there. Check it out if you get a chance.

So today I ventured over to Recycled Records on Kietzke Lane. I found a few CD's I wouldn't mind having, although they mark them up quite a bit (all such stores do that). The guy behind the counter with the ZZ Top beard was saying "eff" every three words or so.

And then I saw the stickers. This was one of the nicer ones, and it went downhill from there.

By displaying such anti-Republican, anti-conservative messages so prominently, the message was loud and clear: "Mr. Cygnus, we don't want your kind or your money in Recycled Records. Get. Out." My response: "With pleasure."

Well, Recycled Records has the absolute right to display whatever messages or sell whatever stickers it wants, and tell half or more of their customer base it doesn't want their kind. And I have the absolute right never to trouble it with my business again.

I'm currently boycotting Pepsi and Frito-Lay for the same reason. And I haven't bought a pair of Levi's in eons.

0 comments: