Tuesday, January 06, 2009

You've Got Guts, Lady

I HATE how people spend their time before Mass shooting the breeze just because they can. Hey, the Blessed Sacrament isn't exposed, so why don't we just go ahead and yak? Too often, the ushers are a big part of this problem of not keeping Holy Silence before the start of Mass.

On Saturday, following a nice afternoon in Virginia City (aside from one of Storey County's finest warning me about my tail light; bless you for not giving me a ticket, and we promptly replaced the light), we went to Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral in downtown Reno, newly renovated and retrofitted against earthquakes. We sang the Mass parts in Latin (!), although it would have been better without the organ.

Before Mass started, a couple of ushers were chewing the rag in back of the cathedral. A woman a few rows ahead said "Shhhh!" rather loudly, but that failed to silence them. So she went back and (I trust) politely told them to Please Shut Up.

As she walked past, I whispered, "Thank you." May I be so bold as not to tolerate disrespect of the Mass. I'm sure she went home blessed, and I hope the ushers felt properly chastised.

2 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

The refreshing sound of reverence.

paramedicgirl said...

Oh, I experience that every time I go to a Novus Ordo Mass. Which is often, considering the Latin Mass takes a good 45 minutes to get there. The last NO Mass I went to there were two Asian girls chatting constantly in Mandarin throughout the whole Mass. Right before the consecration, I had enough, and I turned around and said, "Shhh!" and they looked surprised, stayed quiet for about two minutes, then started right back up chatting about who knows what.

When the sign of peace came around, I gave them the sign of peace and smiled at them, 'cause I didn't want them thinking some cranky lady refused to shake their hand just because they couldn't keep silence.