Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Top Ten Songs

Inspired by recent posts in Red Maryland.

My Top 10 Songs, in no particular order:

  1. "Xanadu", Rush. Okay, it's probably my favorite song ever. A wonderful blend of raw rock power and subtlety. I do miss seeing Neil Peart hitting all those wind chimes around his drum kit, however; they've been replaced by MIDI equipment.
  2. "The Meeting", Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (actually, just Anderson and Wakeman). Our first dance song.
  3. "The Lord's Prayer", The King's Singers. I haven't heard the Beach Boys' rendition of which this is a cover, but the Singers give me goosebumps with their incredible chord progressions.
  4. "Thela Hun Ginjeet", King Crimson. Incredible guitar work by Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew. The title is an anagram for "Heat in the Jungle."
  5. "Hungarian Rhapsody #2", Franz Liszt. The best piece by arguably the greatest pianist ever. If you ever watched Looney Tunes, you've heard it.
  6. "Aerial Boundaries", Michael Hedges. I had to pinch myself to see if I was still within my own being as I watched and heard him play his "savage myth guitar." He died in December 1997, way too soon.
  7. "Jack of Speed", Steely Dan. Just edges out "Babylon Sisters" and "Aja" as my favorite Dan tune. Where DOES Donald Fagen get those lyrics?
  8. "Supper's Ready", Genesis. I prefer Phil Collins' version of this 23-minute epic from Seconds Out to Peter Gabriel's original from Foxtrot.
  9. "Nature of the Beast", The Rippingtons. When I first heard it, I kept playing this song with its African-influenced rhythm over and over again. The drum and bass work are both exquisite.
  10. "In Paradisum", Maurice Durufle. I want this conclusion to his Requiem played at my funeral.
I invite you to meme away with your Top Ten!

1 comments:

Dymphna (4HisChurch) said...

Great Meme! I did it on my blog.