Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oh, Yes, I Remember It Well


From Mom2BJM:

  1. What date was your big day? September 23
  2. Where did you get married? St Joseph's Church, Hanover, PA
  3. Who proposed and how? Well, if it had solely been up to my emotions, I would have done so after dating LC only a few months, while we were out on Lake Tahoe at night. But I wanted my head and heart both to be in it, so I waited. Then it got to the point where I couldn't NOT ask her to marry me. I wanted to pop the question atop Sugarloaf Mountain one day when I had off, but that was her only day off out of nine at her job. She thought I sounded disappointed. Then a couple weeks later, I took her over to Codorus State Park, site of one of our earlier dates. I was nervous, but I summoned up the courage, got down on one knee, and asked. She said yes! I asked her three times to be sure. And giant rocks did not fall from the sky, nor did the earth swallow us whole. Having been sleepless much of the week, I went home and slept like a rock. She, however, stayed up all night. We bought the ring together the next week.
  4. How long were you engaged? 11 months
  5. What was your favorite part of your wedding day (and it can't be your wife)? When my uncle, who officiated the ceremony, looked at LC and said, "We're praying for you." Everyone laughed.
  6. What would you change if you could? Not much. Maybe I could have gotten a little more sleep, but I think 5 hours was pretty darn good considering. Maybe we could have talked to more people.
  7. Wedding colors? Ask LC. Funny thing is, not long after our first dates five years before, she dreamed that she'd be marrying a man dressed in a tux with an Ascot-style tie. At that time, I also dreamed that we'd be married. Wow.
  8. Remember anything special about your wedding ceremony? See #5, plus the prayer that we read together in front of the congregation, and LC's offering to the Blessed Mother while her former prom date sang a fine rendition of "Ave Maria." That was the only time I cried.
  9. Were you clean or messy when you cut your cake? Clean, until she smeared my face with icing.
  10. Where did you go on your honeymoon? First couple nights: Willow Valley Resort in Lancaster, PA. The following week: Key Largo, FL. And as it ended: Mass with Pope John Paul II at Camden Yards.
Here's an earlier post about our Big Day. (We have other pics from our wedding, but they're all packed away now.)

This is a meme, so for those of you who are hitched, have at it!

3 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Thanks for playing Cyg!

Dymphna (4HisChurch) said...

What a cool story!!!! Glad you posted about it!

Silvergirl said...

I love a good proposal story. *tears of joy*