Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Californica "Gay Marriage" Fallout

^ not a typo.

Thank you, Jeffrey Kuhner, for saying what I was thinking. The "gay marriage" movement has nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with obtaining government sanction of an abhorrent lifestyle:

What they now seek is something different: The legitimization of their lifestyle. By pushing for gay marriage, they are demanding that society give its stamp of approval to homosexuality. The homosexual agenda therefore is not about "civil rights." Rather, it is about taking the sexual revolution to its logical, dystopian conclusion - the creation of a new social order based on moral relativism, hedonism and individual gratification.
See also: out-of-wedlock sex, shacking up, no-fault divorce, abortion, etc.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I can't change your mind, so I won't try.

Love all. Love all even if it pains you. That's the best thing you can do, and it's much more productive than being angry about people you don't agree with.

You and I rarely see eye to eye, but I respect you. A lot. I might sound like some kind of foolish, rule-free hippie, but I'm really not. I just want to love everyone, even if they don't love me back.

Cygnus said...

As always, Julia, you bring up a great point, and I have always respected your views also.

Loving the sinner but hating the sin is most difficult. And hey, I sin too. But I don't hate: I merely oppose. Maybe strongly, maybe vociferously, but I oppose. Not hate.

My POV is that set forth by one of my favorite saints, Sir Thomas More: Qui tacet, consentiret (He who is silent gives consent). I don't want to be silent, and I'm glad he had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to King Henry VIII and reject him as the head of the church, as well as the legitimacy of his marriage to Anne Boleyn. Interestingly, More was said to be such a good judge in ruling on violations of anti-heresy laws that "it was the vices of heretics that he hated, not their persons; and he never proceeded to extremities until he had made every effort to get those brought before him to recant."

I hope that is how my criticism of that which I see wrong with society comes off. It may not always do so.

I have a very good friend who could not be further apart from me politically or in other ways (he's a Squealers fan, and I pull for the Ravens). But we're the best of friends. In no way do I expect him not to fight for the world he thinks we should be living in any more than he would expect me not to do so. That's the battlefield in which I find myself.

I admit I probably do need to work more on the love aspect with those I disagree with. But I don't believe that equals keeping my keyboard shut.

Still, Julia, I thank you for yet another thoughtful and thought-provoking response.

#hug#