Sunday, April 13, 2008

Technology vs. Spirituality

After reading the following from Fr. Jack Lombardi of the National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes in Emmitsburg, I stand guilty as charged (maybe this whole blog is evidence of that!):

Technological Entrancement or Supernatural Amazement

The whole article is excellent, but what really jumped out at me was the following:

Busybodyism is one of the Devil's main tricks to get us to always be busy and burned out so we don't want to believe or make special efforts toward the Supernatural.
I'm part of the problem here. I've bought into the belief that if I Only Stay Busy, I won't sin. Trouble is, I find no room for God either. I don't think spirituality means that I keep my mind and body so occupied that I can't sit still. And, surprise, I have a hard time sitting still and being quiet to this day.
Avoid media mediocrity: did saints watch a lot of TV, fixate on news or gawk at gothic novel-reality shows?
"Media mediocrity." What a great term. And I do admit to using it as a substitute for closeness to God. I'm not a big TV watcher, but (as evidenced by my blog links) I do consume a lot of news from various sources. Maybe it's time to back off.

Good, challenging article; thanks, Fr. Jack!

1 comments:

dragonflies said...

I think a lot of us are in that same boat. We get pulled so many different ways, and allow ourselves to.

Great example. I was going to attend a class at our church. Wed for 2 hours, 4 weeks. I forgot about it last week, so I figured I would forget about it. Until our pastor let us know that even if we missed last week, we could still go and he would catch us up. Now I am going. I hope.