Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Our soon-to-be new home of Reno, NV is being besieged by a series of moderate earthquakes. Fortunately, all these have done so far is cause some scattered damage with no injuries.

Of course, all that happens where we are now is that pieces of I-70 suddenly disappear via sinkholes (the "four-lane suburban road" at the end of the article was within walking distance of our house).

I remember being flipped out by the warning of what to do if an earthquake hits when I read it in an Orange County hotel room the first time I was in Southern California; I laid awake for about two hours. Of course, earthquakes are not like hurricanes or tornadoes; you get at least SOME idea of when those are coming.

Then again, to paraphrase a church sign not far from our house, I guess earthquakes remind us that we're not in charge.

1 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Yes, Cyg, we are definitely not in charge.

I do enjoy living in a place where there are not really tornados, or floods, or earthquakes... or...
Well, it does get stinking hot.. we were 99 yesterday.. but I guess I can live with that.