Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shut Up And Play

I had a lengthy argument with a cow-orker about the following.

This Baltimore Sun article features a number of former Baltimore Colts and former and current Baltimore Ravens getting to meet at an autograph-signing show. I had to work when it was going on, and it was a bit pricey.

Anyway, what caught my attention in the article was this:

For Lou Michaels, a rugged defensive end who played for the Colts in the 1960s, the event affords him a chance to grill today's players:

"Why, after he makes a great hit, does a defensive guy dance around for five minutes? He uses up all of his energy and never makes the same play twice in a row.

"I never did that. Gino [Marchetti] never did that. I don't understand it," said Michaels, now 72. "I just hope [ the Ravens] don't get upset when I ask them."
Michaels, BTW, also served as the Colts' kicker for a time.

I agree with Michaels, whereas my cow-orker doesn't. I'm so done with all this celebration on both sides of the ball where players go ga-ga for the cameras after making a first down, a sack, a catch, whatever. And yes, that includes players on the Ravens. My opposite says it's just their way of psyching themselves up, and maybe even positioning themselves for a career after football.

Whatever. As if the Bungles' Chad "Ocho Stinko" Johnson made gobs of friends with his "Future HOF" jacket stunt.

Perhaps my favorite Raven is Todd Heeeeeeeeap, the tight end who celebrates his TD catches by handing the ball to the referee. That's the way it should be. Let your play do the talking.

My counterpart also says that trash-talking has gone on since time immemorial, and he's right. But lines uttered across from each other at scrimmage or at the bottom of a pile are different from all this animated showboating. For example, Sam Huff (one of the Worst. Color Announcers. Ever, IMO) of the NY Giants sneered at Browns running back Jim Brown, "You stink." Brown's next carry took him 65 yards for a touchdown, after which he asked Huff, "How do I smell from here?"

Just shut up and play.

2 comments:

Big Sis said...

Back in Lou Michaels' day, athletes weren't commanding multi-million dollar salaries. We (the fans) have allowed these guys (and some gals) to become idols. As we continue to *worship* them, they will perform their end-zone and on-field dances. It's like getting kids to show off whatever new accomplishments to relatives and friends.
One must also remember many of these players come from very humble inner city beginnings. Thrust into fame and fortune, they show off after having performed well.

Bob Carney said...

Amen...

Their antics on the field also carryover to their personal life off the field too...this is what our youths look up to.