Friday, February 15, 2008

Tolerance Good, Truth Bad?

I no longer have the G.K. Chesterton quote, "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions," at the top of my blog. But it's no less true, as this National Catholic Register article shows. I hate to watch truth continue to be marginalized at the expense of Not Offending Anyone. As author Donald DeMarco says,

Tolerance can hardly be the first principle of human conduct. And it has never been the founding principle of any civilization. The Judeo-Christian God commands us to love, not to be tolerant.

This just in: Those aren't synonyms. And if Everything is right, how can Anything be right? It's just like this paragraph. I've bolded it all for emphasis, but if I emphasize everything, I emphasize nothing.

None of this is to say that I ought not be loving in standing up for what I believe, but capitulation or silence in the name of niceness is folly.

0 comments: