Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pizza Man!

I've started delivering for a local pizza joint that has many other tasty dishes as well. (Yes, Silvergirl, that one.) This is in addition to the traffic job. Most of the time, I'm old enough to be the father of everyone else, including my manager, but not the owners.

I joined at a particularly slow time of year, post-holidays. Despite working today from noon to 7 PM, I only made five runs and not much in tips. I ran a $52 order to one place and got $2. I took a $25 lunch to a local store within 10 minutes and got a dollar for my trouble. Seems to me that folks who are more affluent tend not to tip as well, while those not so well off tend to remember whom the tips help. Ladycub has sure educated me about that!

In one night, I delivered to:

  • A man whose wife had died the week before. God rest her soul. Someone else bought the dinner for him.
  • A hotel not far from my house (where I got a good tip), while some guy in the hotel across the parking lot was standing in his altogether with his curtains wide open . . . on the FIRST FLOOR!
  • A house . . . almost. Every light was lit in this place except for the bedroom, where a TV set was flashing. I knocked for over five minutes with no answer. The folks at the store couldn't get hold of whoever called. So I wound up with his cheese pizza. :-9 We think the non-customer may have been drunk and fallen asleep, but we'll never know.
I'm sure I'll have more stories in the future.

Meanwhile, the search for a new computer goes on. I think I have a combination with Tiger Direct that will work.

6 comments:

Dymphna (4HisChurch) said...

Sounds like Our Lord is giving you an opportunity to pray for some people who would otherwise not cross your path.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Ack - no fun. Me? I'm the cheapskate who will pick up my own pizza so I won't have to tip someone.. (sorry!)

Alas.. I have a short and "sweet" survey on my blog! Please come and participate!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Since Ladycub's blog hasnt' updated for awhile, I'll say thanks here to her for visiting MY blog!

Silvergirl said...

Wow, I haven't been blog reading for a while. I am like mom, I don't order delivered pizza, or delivered food at all.

Luke's? Is there food any good?

Cygnus said...

I think their pizza is some of the best around. Most of their pasta dishes are quite tasty as well. The only thing I've had that I'm not too crazy about is their caesar salad.

They also have an excellent, and spicy, crab chowder.

Puffy said...

Both my sons delivered pizza. Once people have a job where they're tipped, I think they become better tippers.