Monday, December 31, 2007

Yet Another Reason Why I Will Never Be A SysAdmin

After running some media-intensive programs on my puter, one a DVD program to create a disk for my dad, the other a dubbing of a vinyl LP, I decided that I needed more memory. I checked and saw that I had only 512MB, which was state of the art when I bought it (January 2001).

So I was looking up memory sticks for the upgrade process. When I saw what might have been appropriate, I unplugged the computer and pulled one of the current sticks out. I later replaced it, but LC wasn't so sure I had the right type. So I pulled the stick out again.

WITHOUT unplugging the computer.

The result? A fried motherboard. Now we have to get me a new puter. Mine was 7 years old, so it gave me a good run.

I'll continue regular posting after I'm hooked back up.

(I started the post when this actually happened. The puter hung on for a couple more days before completely going TANGO UNIFORM. Hence the earlier date.)

1 comments:

Silvergirl said...

Sorry to hear about your puter. It's awful when something happens to our little workhorses. We have bought quite a few items from Tiger Direct. Most of them have been okay. DH wanted a wireless mouse, and it doesn't work, and I didn't send it back in on time. Too much to do during the holidays (Christmas 2005, not this past Christmas).

I've been quite happy with my Acer laptop for $399 from TD, though. We did have several rebates, and we had to be diligent about that.