Saturday, December 01, 2007

25th Anniversary: Cal vs. Stanford -- And The Band Played On

Also known simply as, "The Play."

I've never been much of a college football fan, having no team to call my own when growing up (my college, I like to say, is unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon. It's also looking for its first win :-)). And I don't recall seeing this when it actually happened 25 years ago. Steve Czaban's show reminded me that this was the anniversary.

With the John Elway-led Stanford Cardinal just having taken the lead 20-19 with only four seconds left on the clock, the Cal Bears needed a miracle. Here's an unedited version from Fox Sports CSTV. The original play-by-play call by Joe Starkey is included; I think it's one of the best calls of all time.



The sax player finished a decided second-best. BTW, sorry, Stanford fans; the one Cal player did NOT have his knee down at the 49-yard line.

Here's also a long version, including Elway's drive to what appeared to be the game-winning field goal for Stanford. Note that the celebration after the field goal cost Stanford 15 yards on the kickoff . . . not an insignificant development, given that the Bears fielded the kick near midfield. Starkey does a great job throughout.

0 comments: