Sunday, October 07, 2007

Life Chain

After meeting some friends for lunch on this Respect Life Sunday, LC and I had the pleasure of joining the Frederick version of the Life Chain on West Patrick Street near West Frederick Middle School. About 60 of us stood silently on each side of the street with signs saying "Abortion Kills Children" and "Abortion Hurts Women."

Many cars drove past, some drivers and passengers supportive, some upset, some indifferent or not reacting. I made sure that I prayed for mothers contemplating murdering their children in the womb, for men who pushed their partners into abortion, for healing for those who already chose to abort, and for myself for not being bold enough to defend the unborn.

It felt good to have spoken my views by not speaking at all. Who knows what work the Holy Spirit may have done in those who drove by?

After the demonstration, we gathered for a closing prayer and singing of "We Shall Overcome" with Pastor Luke Robinson of Quinn Chapel A.M.E. church. He was one of the better-received speakers at this year's March for Life in DC. The presence of activists from several denominations and from various backgrounds was heartening.

This is the sort of thing that I'd definitely consider doing again, and with the 40 Days For Life campaign underway, I'll have my chance.

1 comments:

C. said...

Great example of St. Francis' teaching: "Preach the Gospel. Use words if necessary.