Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Cover Letters: Why?

I have never understood the point of a cover letter when applying for a job. I have yet to get a job through the use of a cover letter, and if I were a hiring manager, I'd have a hard enough time plowing through all those resumes, much less cover letters.

Is it because the company wants to see that I'm interested? Then why would I have bothered sending them a resume in the first place?

If the hiring manager isn't impressed with my resume, why should he/she be any more awed by my cover letter?

I think cover letters are about as useful as the "Excellent" ratings we all used to get in the Defense Department.

1 comments:

Dymphna (4HisChurch) said...

The whole thing is a game, IMO, Cyg. But, I think the cover letter is another layer the company uses to find out about who you are. You may show something about yourself or your attitude through the cover letter that you wouldn't otherwise.

Also, it shows whether or not you know anything about the company you are applying for--if you did your "homework" before applying.