Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Minor league baseball rules

Tonight is the All-Star Game. I could not care less. I've been uninterested in MLB for years now; I've never forgiven them for the strike in 1994.

As for minor league baseball, that's still a lot of fun. We live very close to Harry Grove Stadium, home of the Class A Frederick Keys. Finances have restricted how often we go to the games in recent years, but then again, we don't have to. We can see the frequent fireworks shows from our bedroom window. When I still had media credentials, I would often stroll up to the stadium and hang out in the press box to watch a game and chat with then-PA announcer Victoria Gordon and her husband.

The proximity to the field and the players makes allows me to hear the calls of the umpire . . . even a balk. The marketing staff does a lot of fun things during and after the game to make the experience even more memorable than the game itself. One of them once said to me, "If we've made you forget what the score was, we've done our job."

What I didn't forget was some of the names of players who came through the Keys and went on to the majors: Val Majewski, Brandon Fahey, Adam Lowen, and Nick Markakis, for four.

Oh, and then there's the hokey but fun "Shake Your Keys" song, highlighted in a recent Baltimore Sun article. A night at a Keys game is a nice night out.

Before moving to Frederick, we also took in many a Bowie Baysox game.

2 comments:

Puffy said...

The 1994 baseball strike ruined my friend's son's major league career.

4HisChurch said...

I think the minor league guys play better anyway.