Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I'm so done with . . .

(Apologies to The Czabe)

THE SERIOUS
I'm so done with:

  • Trent Lott
  • Jack Murtha
  • Martin O'Malley
  • Lennie "The Country Bumpkin Lawyer" Thompson
  • Embryonic stem cell research advocates, bravely ignoring the reality of stem cell advances in non-destructive lines
  • President Bush's press for more amnesty for illegals
  • The nominations for President being wrapped up next February (whaddya even need a convention for?)
  • Mike Nifong, the Duke Gang of 88, and anyone in Durham who voted for Nifong
  • Planned Parenthood
  • Algore, Dr. Heidi Cullen, and other "global warming" alarmists
  • San Francisco - 'Nuff said
  • Red light and speed cameras

THE MUCH LESS SERIOUS
I'm also so done with:
  • Peter Angelos and the Baltimore Ambulance Chasers (nee Orioles)
  • The NHL (still)
  • The NBA (still)
  • Britney, Paris, and the rest of the Brat Pack - heck, all of which passes for "Entertainment News" these days
  • Mass songs by David Haas, Marty Haugen, Michael Joncas, Dan Schutte, Tom Conry, Carey Landry, et al.
  • NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) and BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything)
  • Parking in DC (after getting my third ticket in two years)
  • Two-second radio commercials
  • NPR (but then, I was never started with them)
  • Poker and other card games on TV
  • Public television beg-a-thons
  • Medical things in and on my arms
  • Reality shows except for The Amazing Race (and even it's not as good as it used to be)
What are you so done with?

10 comments:

4HisChurch said...

Now that I've moved out of Baltimore, I've lost track of the ins and outs of the Orioles. Do I want to be enlightened?

Cygnus said...

Oh, you don't want to know. Not only have the Orioles been playing miserably this season, it's as if the players don't even care anymore. And as long as Peter Fish Lips Ambulance Chaser Angelos owns the team, we can expect more of the same.

Me, I'm counting the days until the Ravens kick off.

4HisChurch said...

*Sigh* I've long said that minor league games are probably a lot more interesting.

bigbro said...

I'm going to watch the O's on Saturday night. I'll probaby root, root, root for the home team though. They say they are going to have the roof open even though the temp should be about 110 at game time. The last Orioles game I went to was in Memorial Stadium. I always look forward to football season and as an added bonus, the Super Bowl will be in town this year.

Cygnus said...

BB:

Are the Bears who you THOUGHT they were?

;-)

Anonymous said...

DB wants to know what's wrong with the Haas/Haugen/Joncas triumverate?

Cygnus said...

I'd rather know what's GOOD about them.

Here's one of the best reasons I've seen, a parody of Schutte's "City of God":

Awake from your slumber, arise from your sleep;
The homily's over, it wasn't too deep.
He spoke of a 'journey', well, what else does he say?
We're all part of a 'story' as we go on our way.

So let's sing a ditty to God,
It's a way we can all be together.
And we'll be the City of God
If we tell his story once more.

We're all part of a journey, to 'I-don't-know-where',
But that isn't important, so long as we're here.
Be part of the story of me and of you,
And don't worry asking if the story is true.

No, just sing a ditty to God,
It's a way we can all be together.
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more.

So come if you're ready, the meek and the smug,
For God is a Teddy, he'll give you a hug.
And take consolation, till next time we meet
As you go on your journey, God's in the back seat.

So just sing a ditty to God,
It's a way we can all be together.
It would be a pity for God
If we told his story no more.



And here's a comment from blogger Amy Welborn, whose blog sadly is private:

They've turned liturgy from something that was about God - uh, that's called worship - to something that is about us. The purpose of liturgy is now to build community. We needn't pay so much attention to Eucharist any longer, since the presence of Christ in us all the time is just as important. The hymns in Catholic liturgies are, for the most part, about us. (Gather Us In....Here I Am...We Are the Light of the World....Aren't We Fabulous? No. Not the last one. I don't think so, at least...)

Finally, I want to know who died and put OCP in charge of liturgical music. So does Crisis magazine.

What the heck is wrong with some Latin chant? Fortunately, the church at the Grotto of Lourdes in Emmitsburg has resisted the urge to become "contemporary", which Haugen, Haas, Joncas, Conry, Cooney, Landry, et al. really are not. They're just a step up from the late-60s political twaddle of Ray Repp, Tom Parker, and Jack Miffleton.

Cygnus said...

And DON'T get me started on "Sing A New Church." I'm so done with that PC claptrap also.

4HisChurch said...

Cygnus--as a singer and "church musician" I really loath the naval gazing music you speak of. I think "Sing a New Church" is probably the very worst. Or, isn't there one also called "We are Church"? Gag! As much as I like to sing, when I get to parishes that sing that sort of thing, most of the time, I can't bear to sing along.

bigbro said...

Since I'm an old school choirboy I hate the gender neutralization in the hymns. Jesus is a he, not an it. They change the "He" or "His" to Christ so it doesn't sound male I guess. It usually tends to screw up the song in my opinion. I'm sure others thought that way with the change from Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit. I'm sounding like "Blue Moose."