Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rest In Peace, Minnie

I don't know why I love you like I do
I don't know why, I just do
I don't know why you thrill me like you do
I don't know why, you just do (yes you do)

The words to this old Sweet Adelines song were what often caused our Minnie to meow and jump up into Ladycub's lap, especially if "Hello, how are you?" didn't work. They were also among the final words we told Minnie this morning.

She had been limping since at least last night, signaling that the cancer in her belly was spreading to her bones. Unwilling to wait until she was in more pain, we made the tough decision to take her to the emergency vet hospital. LC wrapped her in a towel; we didn't bother with the cat carrier. They allowed us a few minutes with her, during which we sang the above song. As the drugs were administered, I had one hand on LC and the other on Minnie, and I asked St. Francis to intercede for Minnie. It was over all too quickly. She was 16.

We have her collar and some of her fur. And a lot of memories:

The time she had us in stitches as we were listening to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" and she meowed right on the beat after "Lie-la-lie". We could never quite get her to do that again.

Her rough-and-tumbling with Maya. Maya was faster, but Minnie was bigger and stronger.

Her disdain for any of the litterboxes that were covered.

The way she dealt with numerous seizures earlier on. I'm glad we didn't end her life that soon; we were able to get them under control.

The way she always managed to get in our way on the steps and elsewhere.

How I had to apologize to her (yes, to a cat!) numerous times after chiding her for where she pooped or peed.

How she managed to be Beta cat over Maya and Patches (and Mugger, when she was around; we had to put her down as well after she attacked LC).

And many more.

She was LC's first cat, and her favorite. Rest in peace, Minnie.

5 comments:

Silvergirl said...

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Tell Lady Cub she has my condolences, also.

Today is the birthday of my late brother, who would have been 58 if he hadn't died at age 26.

dragonflies said...

Aw hon, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Give each other a hug for me. I know what it is like to lose a beloved pet.

Now I've run my mascara. So much for waterproof.

And Silvergirl, Happy birthday for your Bro. Hope you can celebrate with your memories.

Mom2BJM said...

*sniff* I'm sorry for the loss of your friend/kitty..

I'm not a cat person.. but I understand the attachment. I'll have to post what happened to my brother when his dog died last week. (just wasn't his day...)

Puffy said...

That's a nice tribute to your kitty. It's sad and you'll miss her. I remember the feeling well.

Chrissy (woe) said...

I am so sorry Cyg, I shoulda popped in sooner/more often but I was dealing with a death in the family at the time you posted this. I know how difficult the loss of a beloved pet is. Blessing to you, my friend.

And I am sorry that I have been a horrible friend this year, but I am improving in all aspects of my life in a BIG way and I'll try to get in more often.

*smooches* to you and LC.