Friday, March 23, 2007

Pot Pourri 2

All sorts of schtuff going on:


Mourning Minnie

I think Maya and Patches now understand that Minnie isn't coming back. For the most part, they've behaved better toward each other, but there's still some occasional hissing.

LC hasn't seen fit to remove the blanket on the sofa near her recliner where Minnie used to sit/lay/sleep. The other day, I found Patches sleeping in that very location. That too suggests she knows.

Minnie's death still saddens us every once in a while, but that's OK.


Cyg's Anatomy: Yet Another Update

The stitches are now out of my right elbow, and I am no longer wearing the wrist splints. There's still a bruise on the elbow, but the scars are healing well. A little bit of pain persists in my wrists, but nothing at all like what it was. I go for another eval in a month. I have another endoscopy in June. Meanwhile, my physical therapy continues.

I have not been sleeping well at all since the operation on the 13th. I may get my meds adjusted next week.


150K and Counting

No, that's not the number of posts I've made on message boards.

The Cygmobile hit 150,000 miles the other night on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring on my way home from work. I've never had a car with that many miles on it. We bought it in 2003 when it had 36,000.

It's needed the requisite amount of TLC, but we're taking good care of it, and I see no reason why it can't last to 200K or more. It's a Focus station wagon, handy for picking up babes hauling things. There's something rattling in one of the axles that needs some attention. But I'm still proud of having changed the plugs and wires myself.

Meanwhile, LC's 2001 Chevy Prizm (>110K miles) has been drinking oil to the tune of 5-6 quarts between oil changes. We're hoping that the recent BG performance oil change with some heavier weight oil (15W40) will do the trick, or at least slow down the oil burning. She says it's run better since. The only permanent solution is a new engine, which runs $8900. We could buy two used cars without oil-burning problems for that much!


My Tour Of Anacostia

In my current part-time job, I drive around as directed to find traffic delays and incidents in the Washington, DC area. Yesterday, I had to find an accident on Suitland Parkway, which ends in Anacostia, one of the worst sections of town. I actually took a wrong turn and headed into old town Anacostia, which is sorely in need of a makeover. Boarded-up houses are the rule.

Or are they?

As I took a back street over to where the (nasty) accident was, I noticed a few new developments being built, and they wouldn't look out of place in Exurbia. I trust that someone will buy them, and if so, that would be a Good Thing. So it's not all blight, and I'm glad I got to see that.


Where DID You Get Those Shoes?

For some time, New Balance has become the official leisure footwear of Cygnus, mainly for two reasons: 1) they LAST (I can be brutal on shoes), and 2) they're not Nike. The fact that they're made in the U.S. doesn't hurt either.

A friend told me about Joe's New Balance Outlet as a good place to get NB shoes. So I tried them out. The shoes arrived in less than a week. They sure looked nice and sturdy, and they were. But they were TOO sturdy. While on my Oxycodone high, I went for a 40-minute walk in them, and generated a huge blister on my right heel. I'm still trying to get rid of it. And it only got worse when I wore those shoes.

Turns out that this particular style of shoe just didn't work for me. Despite being a D width, it was cut too narrow, especially for my right foot. And they're not supposed to have to be "broken in."

Fortunately, Joe's allows returns within 30 days, so they're on their way back starting Monday for an exchange to a style more like what I've had before. Had I not fallen asleep this afternoon and missed the UPS pickup, they'd be en route now!

1 comments:

Mom2BJM said...

*takes Cyg apart. Puts Cyg back together, slowly but surely*