Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Neighborly Snow

If it's one thing that has brought people in a neighborhood together over the years that I've seen, it's snow. Today was no exception. We had about 6 inches of snow with a lovely layer of ice on top.

Despite my bad elbow and wrist, I went out to dig out my car and finish the work LC had started on hers. As I did, my neighbor up the street was trying to get his van back into his parking space over the obligatory mound of snow and ice left by the plows. A few of us pitched in and helped push him. Instead of my hands, I used my forearms to push. Then another neighbor helped me dig the Cygmobile out. I, however, had the brilliant idea of using the ice chopper to get rid of the ice and snow on the roof. Now, the Cygmobile has some lovely scratches on the roof.

I then finished up our driveway.

When I was a kid, we had many snowstorms and a couple blizzards. Our Northeast Baltimore street rarely, if ever, got plowed; our tax dollars at work! Maybe it was because the street was so narrow.

After one blizzard, a few of the older ladies across the street started breaking up the snow and ice in front of their place. My mom saw this and yelled at us to go help them. I guess everyone else's parents did the same thing, because within an hour the whole neighborhood was out clearing the street, lest traffic skid into our parked vehicles.

It's a shame that's the only time I see my neighbors in winter, but it's better than nothing.

P.S. I have a job interview tomorrow! Prayers and good thoughts welcome.

1 comments:

Puffy said...

Same situation here. We mainly see our neighbors during earthquakes and fire evacuations.