Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Real Man

I think one of my strengths -- and weaknesses -- is that in the realm of morality, I see things in terms of black and white, right and wrong. And yes, I have done my share of wrong.

But today I recalled how someone I once knew owned up to what he did in a truly manly way.

I was living in a house with several other guys from our Christian group, and Leon (not his real name) joined us for a while. He had been dating his girlfriend for many years, and they were now engaged.

One night when we sat down to dinner, Leon simply said, "My fiancee's pregnant, and it's mine. I need to ask your forgiveness for not being a good example to you."

We were briefly shocked, but the frankness of how he owned up to what he had done really impressed us. Not only did we forgive him, but most of us were there at their wedding that got moved up by a few months. They had a couple more kids, and are still married as far as I know, although I haven't seen them in years.

Would that more men be so honest and take such responsibility.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.