Thursday, December 28, 2006

Weather Bimbos

One of my jobs at work is to monitor the Weather Channel for any developing stories that folks need to know about. When they're not busy trying to ram the global warming scare down our throats, TWC has been busy lately pushing what I surmise is their version of ESPN's "Pardon The Interruption," known as "Abrams and Bettes."

Now Stephanie Abrams is not unattractive, but she's not just out of meteorology school either. So why does TWC insist on sexing her up for this show? It's. Not. Her. She doesn't make a good "tart," as Seana puts it. For comparison's sake, check out her media portrait.

Recall if you will that former TWC meterologist Marny Stanier filed a lawsuit against the network charging age discrimination. She apparently dropped it, and may have been given some compensation in exchange for never bringing the matter up again; I guess we'll never know for sure.

I know that TV is a visual medium, and women are generally held to a different standard than men (how else do you explain Jim Cantore?). But this isn't necessary for the Weather Channel. And I'm not sure the idea of presenting the weather in bathing suits hasn't been proffered in some TWC back room.

BTW, when's the last time you saw a pregnant meteorologist on the air? Used to have them all the time on TWC (Jeanetta Jones -- whom, I admit, has eyes to die for -- and Kim Perez, for two). Is that now also part of the template?

2 comments:

Silvergirl said...

I don't understand much about the weather business except we have a nephew who just started working as a meteorologist in Chico, CA.

Happy New Year. I saw the new restaurant that replaced the Cajun Crab. Have you tried it yet? We haven't.

Cygnus said...

Same to you, DH, and DD, Silv!

I *guess* it's a restaurant; I've heard ads for it on WFMD touting it more as a bar. Haven't been there yet.