Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Sense of Proportion

Last week was our company Christmas party, held on the upper parking lot (a nice concession by the higher-ups). Unfortunately, I had to work 2-10 PM while it went on.

Normally, by 3 PM the parking lot starts clearing out with folks on regular shift starting to leave. But because of the party, no one left! I had to park in the residential neighborhood and moved my car once because it was in a 2-hour zone. When I went to move it the second time, it had a revenue enhancement solicitation parking ticket on it.

I was furious. I was all set to demand that my company reimburse me, which of course they will not do. But at least they did admit they didn't plan the use of their limited parking resources very well; they forgot about folks like me.

Now. Before I came to work that day, I stopped in to see my friend Tony. All that has happened to him recently is that he changed careers, had his wife leave him for reasons that completely puzzle me, and developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He was about to undergo his fourth round of chemotherapy.

You imagine for a moment that he would mind swapping problems with me and having a $30 ticket as the worst part of his day? It's sobering -- but necessary -- to have things put into proportion sometimes.

3 comments:

Puffy said...

My mother-in-law got a $300 ticket. Apparently the camera caught her running a red light.

Silvergirl said...

Yes, tickets don't seem at bad as deadly disease, and marital failings. Give you friend Tony an extra hug from me.

Mom2BJM said...

The grass in not always necessarily greener...
So they say..