Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas Songs I Can Live Without

I don't dislike all secular Christmas songs, but I will be perfectly happy never to hear these again:

  • Santa Baby
  • Jingle Bell Rock
  • Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (which I think is the same song as Jingle Bell Rock)
  • Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (it was funny when it came out, when I was still a kid. A few million times later, it's NOT FUNNY.)
  • Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Yoko Ono. 'Nuff said.)
  • A Wonderful Christmas Time (so Macca can't write a decent Christmas song either.)
  • Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You
  • Do They Know It's Christmastime At All? (I think if those starving had to choose between death and this song, 9 out of 10 would opt for death.)
  • And when did "My Favorite Things" become a Christmas song? I think I've heard 45 covers of it in the last month.
So before you think me a Grinch, what songs do I like?

  • Anything by Mannheim Steamroller (still hasn't gotten old)
  • Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas (ditto)
  • The Joy of Christmas with the New York Philharmonic (and Leon!Ard! Bern!Stein!) and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  • The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole
  • Any good rendition of the Messiah
  • Salvation Is Created (especially when sung in Russian)
  • Mary, Did You Know? (*I* know it's a collection of rhetorical questions, but Kathy Mattea's rendition is especially moving)
  • Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming and Coventry Carol (my church choir sang both when I was a kid; both gave me goose bumps)
  • And for the completely silly side: Bob and Doug Mackenzie's Twelve Days of Christmas, Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Christmas, Bill Engvall's Christmas version of Here's Your Sign, and the Twisted Tune version of "A Billy Idol Christmas": "Cause it's a /nice day for a / White Christmas", "In the midnight hour, he cried 'Ho, Ho, Ho' / With a Jingle Bell, he cried 'Ho, Ho, Ho'"
How about you?

2 comments:

Mom2BJM said...

Thank you for not dissing "I want a Hippopotomus for Christmas!:

ANd;... rats on your cpap not working! DH does NOT sleep well when he doesn't have his.

Cygnus said...

I've heard that one; big surprise that it's one of your favorites! I hear it rarely enough that it's still a novelty.

Speaking of which, I still like the uniquely Baltimorean "I Want Crabs For Christmas."