Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm Your Handyman . . . not.

(Or, Cyg vs. the Weed Whacker)

All summer/early fall long, my weed whacker and I have been at odds with each other. I think it's winning.

Replacing the fishing line in the spool has become drudgery. I get it wound up around the spool, then either the whole thing unwinds or something gets jammed and the line won't feed. Or, as has more recently been the case, too much line feeds out. I've gone through two spoolfuls because it just kept feeding and cutting, feeding and cutting.

Then I lost the lock spring that holds the whole dern thing in place. I had to order new ones from Sears, and they cost more delivered than an entire new spool.

No, I have no idea where my owner's manual is. Why do you ask?

3 comments:

Puffy said...

Pretend you're on Survivor and use a machete.

arkie said...

Oh, I know! You could get a goat, and let it trim the grass for you. Of course, it may trim it just a bit closer to the ground than you want, but you don't have to replace the line. On the other hand, you will have to clean up after the goat. Maybe a goat's not such a good idea after all.

Cygnus said...

Hi, Arkie! Good to see you again! I miss your *whack*ings.

Well, a goat can't be any worse than my neighbor's Great Dane, as far as cleaning up the mess! There were a couple goats around the farm where I lived one summer, which is now a pricey development.

Puffy, if I want to injure myself, I'll just stick with the weed whacker! Or let myself get *whack*ed by Arkie.