Friday, October 13, 2006

Another nice thing about moms

I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour on XM, and not just because I work for XM. He pulls songs out of the backs of racks that I didn't even know were racks. I'm sure that a few of these pieces had to come off of 78s ("What are THOSE, Pop-Pop?"). My current quote in the browser bar ("Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry") is from a Bob Wills tune that I heard on TTRH. Almost everything I hear is new. Maybe not everything is my taste, but it sure beats a lot of what passes for music these days.

Anyway, XM had an all-day marathon of TTRH yesterday, and I recorded a whole mess of it on my XM radio. I was listening this morning to Dylan's "Mother" theme.

He had a quote from Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame. He couldn't have interviewed Teller because he doesn't talk. Now, Penn Jillette is not one of my favorite people; he's a typical Hollywood leftist in many regards. But on TTRH, he proved that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital.

I'm pretty much going to paraphrase what he said, because I don't feel like transcribing it word for word.

Jillette said that there were two ways of looking at the term "mama's boy": the effeminate wuss who never learned to stand on his own two feet, which is the dominant perception; and the boy whose mom's unconditional love made him feel twelve feet tall.

As an illustration of the latter, Jillette recalled when Penn and Teller made its off-Broadway debut. The tradition at the opening night party is to stay up until the early edition of the New York Times (a.k.a. the Newspaper of Wreckage these days) comes out and they can read the review. Jillette's parents were there, and they got to read the review aloud; the comments were quite glowing.

That morning, Jillette's parents were having breakfast with his producer. He said something along the lines of, "You must have been proud to see your son written up so well in the New York Times."

His mom's response was priceless. She said, "I don't need the New York Times in order to be proud of my son. I've been proud of him since the day he was born!"

Wow.

In a day and age when we hear so much about people who probably should never have been allowed to become parents, it's nice to know there are still some quality moms out there. Like mine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Jillette makes you think he's "leftist" - he's hard core libertarian.

Cygnus said...

The fact that the charity he and Teller donated their winnigs on Fear Factor was the American Civil Liberties Union, for one.

This, for two.

"Libertarian" is the new code word for those who don't want to be called "liberal" or "leftist" (see also: "progressive").

daxncats said...

Have to get you listening to more country music :-), George Strait did a great version of "Take me back to Tulsa" about 2 or 3 years ago. That said, it is a very good song.