Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Good Walk Unspoiled

On my list of links you will see one that says "What the heck is a volksmarch?" Well, let me tell you.

On Saturday I endured an unusual 30-minute traffic jam as I drove west to Hagerstown. More working-class and industrial than my current home, "Hagerspatch" nevertheless has a rugged charm to it. And to celebrate its annual Augustoberfest, the local volksmarch club had a 10K (6.2 mile) walk through the city. You follow the directions a la The Amazing Race.

The walk passed the quaint city market, complete with goats outside; a seedy hotel with a seedier lady outside shopping for, um, clients; the railroad tracks, several times; the city park and various museums therein, plus plenty of ducks, geese, and Cygni; and the Jonathan Hager House, for whom the place is named.

The walk took me about an hour and 45 minutes. I passed a few people on the way (although it's decidedly NOT a race), including a young couple who were both in sandals. I would not walk 6+ miles in sandals.

Actually, I made the walk a little longer; I turned the wrong way at the last street. But aside from the excessive sweat, a little chafing, and some sore arches, I had fun.

0 comments: